6 ways to keep mosquitoes out of your bedroom
While we know that mosquitoes are at their most active at dusk and at dawn, in the rainy monsoon season, we should all be taking precautions to ensure that we are protected from these pesky (and dangerous) insects at all times.
Here are six easy ways to keep yourself safe from mosquitoes and reduce the chances of you or your family catching malaria, dengue or chikungunya.
1. Use mosquito nets: It’s natural to want to let some of the monsoon air in after an oppressive summer. However, if you don’t have mosquito nets on your doors and windows, mosquitoes may be attracted to your home and, more so, to the people in it. Keep yourself and your family safe by installing mosquito nets on your doors and windows so you can enjoy fresh air without fear of disease.
2. Put out indoor plants: Indoor plants with their shady leaves and still water are likely to attract any mosquitoes that do enter your house. Take extra precautions and move all your indoor plants outdoors during the rainy season.
3. Watch out for adjoining bathrooms: Something as innocuous as a soap dish can be a haven for mosquitoes looking to breed. Water stagnates in soap dishes, around tubs and in buckets overnight. Make sure bathrooms are wiped down and no water is left stagnant overnight.
4. Citronella: Mosquitoes are repelled by citronella, so keep citronella scented candles or incense around the house and burn them at regular intervals to keep mosquitoes at bay.
5. Kala HIT: Spray the rooms in your house with Kala HIT at regular intervals. Spray Kala HIT liberally in your bedroom, step out and close the door immediately. Leave the bedroom unoccupied for 15-20 minutes before opening it again. Kala HIT is one of the most effective ways to keep mosquitoes at bay and its pleasant fragrance ensures that it doesn’t perturb your family members either.
6. Use the AC: The heavy, cold air of an AC or fan acts as a deterrent to mosquitoes who are more comfortable in an environment where the air is still. Sleep easy and comfortably with the AC or fan on every night and say goodbye to that pesky buzzing in your ears.
Do you have any tips of your own on how to keep mosquitoes away? Share them with us in the comments!